[MlMt] sync mailmate settings
Dries Geeroms
2013-04-11 10:46:24 UTC
Hi,

I'm currently giving MailMate a go and trying to sync the settings
between my iMac and laptop. Currently I've got a symlink set up via
dropbox for the files in ~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/ except

* Attachments folder
* Autosaved Messages folder
* Messages folder
* com.freron.MailMate.pid file
* Database.noindex folder

Basically I don't want to sync my messages and attachments since this
would kill my dropbox space fairly quick:-). However for some reason
some of the settings didn't change over (some smart folder settings,
count settings, message view (not showing the buttons on top) and mail
view (flags and attachment icon on left).

Did I miss something? Or has anyone else found a better way to sync?

thanks!
Dries
Benny Kjær Nielsen
2013-04-11 10:56:53 UTC
Post by Dries Geeroms
I'm currently giving MailMate a go and trying to sync the settings
between my iMac and laptop.
Thanks for trying out MailMate.
Post by Dries Geeroms
Currently I've got a symlink set up via dropbox for the files in
~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/ except
Just be aware that you cannot run more than one instance of MailMate
when doing this. You must quit/start MailMate on your machines to make
sure you do not loose any settings.
Post by Dries Geeroms
Basically I don't want to sync my messages and attachments since this
would kill my dropbox space fairly quick:-). However for some reason
some of the settings didn't change over (some smart folder settings,
count settings, message view (not showing the buttons on top) and mail
view (flags and attachment icon on left).
Did I miss something?
At least some of the above is stored in this file:

~/Library/Preferences/com.freron.MailMate.plist

Again, only one running version of MailMate should be allowed to access
that file.
Post by Dries Geeroms
Or has anyone else found a better way to sync?
I would say that MailMate has no way to sync if it's not part of IMAP
:-) But the above might work for you anyways.
Benny
Bill Cole
2013-04-11 15:52:27 UTC
[ CAVEAT: I've been doing way too much troubleshooting of user Outlook
issues recently... ]
Post by Benny Kjær Nielsen
I would say that MailMate has no way to sync if it's not part of IMAP
:-)
This quip actually suggests a way you could copy a trick from Outlook.
When using MAPI (i.e. with Exchange or the quixotic MAPI<->IMAP shims
for other servers like CGP) it stores customized view settings for each
folder on the server. While I don't like that particular use (screen
size matters!) it would be nice to have a way to keep smart folders, key
bindings, and custom header formats in synch between machines. MM could
detect messages with a custom tag or message parts with a particular
MIME type (probably want to require some sort of signature as well...)
and load up settings from the content. In the same vein, this could also
be used as a way to provision new users in organizations that
standardize on MM and/or to share customizations.